FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Am I eligible to enter?
To be eligible to participate in the DHL Exported Cycle Two Program, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
The individual and/or company submitting the application must have been in the business of fashion design (preferably menswear and womenswear) for a minimum of four (4) years and can provide supporting documentation, such as:
- Press kit, stock lists, look books, marketing and PR plans, as more specifically requested on the Phase 1 Application.
- Are not legal residents/incorporated or otherwise have any investors (as applicable) that are located in a country or jurisdiction that is at any time during the Program Period (defined below) that is subject to U.S. trade or economic sanctions administered by Office of Foreign Assets Control (“OFAC”), including, without limitation, on the U.S. Treasury Department’s Specially Designated Nationals (“SDN”) list or a foreign national of a country subject to U.S. trade or economic sanctions, as may be updated from time to time (see http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/SDN-List/Pages/default.aspx); and
- If an individual is the applicant, the individual must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
What are we looking for when determining whether you should be selected as a semi-finalist, finalist and winner?
The designer has been in the business of fashion design (clothing) for a minimum of 4 years and can provide supporting documentation as:
- Press kit, stock lists, look books, marketing and PR plans
- Has demonstrated the ability to produce collections and complete orders in timely manner and can provide current sales and fulfillment structure
- Has a demonstrated potential for international sales growth
- Can speak to a business strategy to expand in international markets
How do I apply for DHL Exported?
DHL Exported Program Cycle Two application process will occur in two phases.
Phase 1: Designers who meet all eligibility requirements are to request a Phase 1 application by emailing Sara Maniatty - Sara.Maniatty@IMG.com or Trish Silva – Trish.Silva@IMG.com
- In the Phase 1 application, Designers will be required to provide supporting documentation of a successful business.
- Phase 2: The top 10 finalists in each market will receive a Phase 2 application. Phase 2 will consist of an in-depth application referencing current plans of global market expansion.
What is the DHL Exported Program Timeline?*
Cycle 2 application open announcement: July 8, 2015
Phase 1 Application Opens: July 8, 2015
Phase 1 Application Deadline: 11:59 p.m. ET on July 31, 2015
Phase 2 Application Deadline: 11:59 p.m. ET on August 19, 2015
Panel deliberation: August 24-28, 2015
Winners notified: August 31, 2015
Global Winner Event: September 17, 2015 – New York
September – December 2015: DHL Exported Press Events
New York Fashion Week: February and September, 2016
London Fashion Week: February and September, 2016
Milan Fashion Week: February and September, 2016
Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Tokyo: March and October, 2016
* All Dates are Subject to Change
Who makes up the selection panel?
The selection panel will be made up of global and local representatives from the industry, including media, retail, design, marketing and key fashion influencers as well as a representative from IMG, DHL and the British Fashion Council, Camera Nazionale Della Moda Italiana, and Japan Fashion Week Organization. The panel will review applicants who show an interest in showing at the events in their selected market and will look for designers that show the most promise to succeed from a show and the various benefits offered as part of the DHL Exported Program.
Selection will be based on the designer’s quality, innovation and ability to prove how they plan to legitimately take their business to the next level with the support and backing provided by the DHL Exported Program. The panellist’s decision as to semi-finalists, finalists and winners will be final and binding.
Where can you get more information?
Benefits of the Program?*
IMG and DHL will underwrite certain specific costs of travel, shipping and logistics as well as show production in the selected market, the details of which are in IMG’s and DHL’s sole and absolute discretion.
Program Winner benefits may include:
- Listing the show on the selected markets official schedule
- Certain travel costs for the winning designers (up to 5 (five) nights at a participating hotel and round trip economy airfare ticket)
- Collection shipping to and from the market – Provided by DHL.
- IMG will provide a venue and production costs for designers to debut their collections for (2) two consecutive seasons.
*Winning designer will be liable for additional expenses incurred that are not outlined as part of the winner benefit package, which include, but are not limited to: Hiring of PR firm, renting a showroom, additional or enhanced production elements, extended or changed travel and accommodations, etc.
DESCRIPTION OF BENEFITS:
- Travel and accommodations for the applicant will be provided and booked to include one (1) roundtrip economy airline ticket and one (1) hotel room for two (2) nights for the applicant to attend the Winner Press Event.
- Travel and accommodations for the applicant will be provided and booked to include one (1) roundtrip economy airline ticket and one (1) hotel room for the applicant for a maximum of five (5) nights for each DHL Exported Runway/Show Presentation.
- Upon arrival in the winning market, round trip transportation between airport and hotel for Runway/Show Presentations will be provided. No other transportation will be provided.
- DHL Exported and IMG will provide a venue and cover various production expenses for applicants to debut their collections on-schedule for two consecutive seasons. The DHL Exported Program includes the below production services to be provided by IMG.
Please note services are subject to change based on selected Market. Please also note applicant is responsible for any services in addition to those outlined below.
- Runway show venue
- Production Coordinator/Show Director
- Backstage Staff
- Hair Stylist, Makeup, & Nail Artists
- 15 Models (not to exceed the agreed upon day rate in the selected market)
- Casting Coordination and Location (One Day)
- Fittings Coordination and Location (Two Days)
- Backstage supplies (Steamers, Irons, Ironing boards)
- Backstage Catering – Day of Show
- Printing of invitations or E-vite distribution
- Applicant Logo on upstage wall
- Music Track Mixing - based on your selected tracks
- Venue insurance
Shipping/logistics support of applicant collection
Winning applicant will be provided collection shipping to and from the awarded market provided by DHL for 2 seasons
- A dedicated DHL Key Account representative will work directly with winning applicant
- Excluding shipping of samples and shipping to showrooms outside of the chosen DHL Exported market unless agreed with local DHL market
In order to ensure seamless delivery of collection to DHL Exported market, applicants are required to meet with local DHL representatives for a minimum of 3 meetings
- at the beginning of the DHL Exported involvement
- 4 weeks prior to each show to provide insights on their collection, incl. textiles, to plan shipping and agree target date for collection shipping
- To share final paperwork for collection delivery for review 2 weeks prior to targeted arrival in show market or no later than agreed with DHL representative
- Winning applicant will be provided collection shipping to and from the awarded market provided by DHL for 2 seasons
Winner benefits do not Include PR agency teams for runway show support, sales/editor/buyer meetings and applicant Showroom – Applicant will be responsible for retaining a showroom and PR support.